Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
2 3 4 5 6
Oh Llama, I'm so sorry to this has happened to you. Prayers for successful treament/rehab and for you and dh.to have peace. 🙏🙏🙏

“The LORD bless you and keep you; The LORD make His face shine upon you, And be gracious to you."
(4)

Llama ,

so sorry to hear that. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
(3)

I have been hospitalized since last Saturday due to inability to stand or walk. Two new DXs of spinal stenosis and spinal stricture. I am doing in hospital PT and OT. I will then be transferring to a rehabilitation facility. DH not doing well at all. Prayers needed. Thanks.
(7)

Way, yes it is appalling how awful it is driving in the city. It is scary. We drove to Staten Island from the Bronx. A nightmare of congestion. And there is a total disregard for other drivers on the road. It was a free for all. I don’t think many of these drivers actually care they could kill somebody.
(2)

@Anxiety .

I get it . I won’t drive through Brooklyn or Queens anymore . They drive crazy there in general .
(1)

It's so strange NYS is all about there laws, but they just don't seem to do anything about older drivers that shouldnt be driving.

I think it makes them worse actually gives them a whole who cares additude and not respecting that driving is a privilege.

Being dyslexic, I know my limitations on driving, its others that don't get it ,when they don't understand why I won't drive though Albany. They think I'm being a princess or something.
(1)

way - that's crazy. In this province we get medical and eye testes at 75 and then again at 80 and every two years after that. I think it is a good thing. The doctor may recommend a road test even if you pass the medical and eye tests. I'm OK with that too. I figure I would pass it. If not, that's ok as well. I'm already looking at the resources for seniors who don't drive. I'ii need them some day. You've got to be sensible.
(3)

Yeah that's so messed up.
(0)

It’s just ironic that I have to prove I’m safe to drive meanwhile I can’t anyone to test MIL .
Don’t get me wrong I don’t mind getting the form filled out . But ……. I think if a family member raises a concern about an 87 year old , DMV should test them .
(2)

I'm really surprised if this is a thing in Pennsylvania, everyone complains about NYS laws , I've never heard of this?!?!
(0)

Waytomisery, in NYS I've never heard of that, unless your a truck driver!!
(0)

Today I got a letter from DMV that I was selected to have a physical and eye exam to renew my drivers license . It says they do this randomly for 45 and over .

Meanwhile DMV ( in another state ) did nothing when I voiced concerns about my MIL’s ability to drive safely .
(3)

Wow I hadn’t heard about him in years so I thought he died a long time ago.
(1)

Oh my goodness that is even weirder
(0)

It gets weirder - I was thinking of Phil Donahue the other day too and wondering if he and Marlow were still together
(1)

Life is so weird, yesterday hubby was watching TV, and a st jude commercial came on, we were talking about Marlow Thomas, and I said is her husband still alive, I think she is married to Phil Donahue. Today I wake up and he died.

Life is just weird
(0)

Thanks Golden! Dyslexia has given me some blessing that others don't have , empathy towards people. Even from a young age I felt so much for people that where ostracized because of different reasons.

Too much empathy can be a curse also. But I always understood people that where different, and stick up for the underdog. I think that comes from feeling like I'm different on the inside.

Your children where so fortunate to have you
(2)

Without support it must have been very hard for you, nacy. I think we were fortunate as I was a teacher and had some skills to help them, and also I learned a lot from reading about it. The schools were not kind sometimes and particularly with my middle boy called him lazy, which he wasn't. They wanted him to not take the academic route in high school, but I insisted and also gave him the support he needed. Eventually one English teacher saw that he had talent. The spelling and punctuation wasn't good but he could write and touch people's feelings. Eventually he went to college and took computers/information technology and now heads that department at the college. He is a real success story.

And so are you. Often people with learning disabilities suffer from low self esteem. You have survived that and a dysfunctional family and are still learning . Well done you!!!

Pam Z - isn't it great being a grandma!!!
(5)

Wow golden , that really makes me realize why things where so hard for me, not in a sad way, but you had to work so hard with your boys and I got none of that, so in other words it makes so much since why some things are hard for me to learn.

As for keep learning, actually like ten years ago I figured out how to learn and honestly I haven't stopped learning different things ever since.

Someone once asked me if I was a nurse, because I knew a lot. I just like to read.
(1)

I am thankful I still can drive in the city. I went to oldest son's for supper the other day in a part of the city with which I am not very familiar and I had to change my planned route as the gravel portion at this end was longer than I figured, but it all worked out fine, I'll take the highway another time. The roads in the city I know looked different as the trees have grown, the LRT runs along some places and so on but my sense of direction was good and only once was I in the wrong lane. I've driven to my doctor's and also close to the center of the city to my dd's and gdg's so I'm good for anything I can think of. Feels good. 🚗
(1)

nacy - I'm very familiar with learning disabilities, There are many forms - dyscalculia, dysgraphia, dyslexia... Two of my sons have them and helping them through school was a lot of work for me - and them. Both had dysgraphia but different aspects of it. Every year I had to educate their teachers about them. One used to reverse letters so I bought coloured markers and we went over and over them. I helped with math using pennies. The other one is an auditory learner so I read his books onto tape ( the old cassette tape set up.) His spelling went up from 3/10 to 7/10 when he practiced orally rather that writing the words out correctly. And that wasn't the whole picture, but by high school they had learned how to cope and did ok. In fact they got their best marks in college.

Good for you still learning!!!
(2)

Alva, Thanks ☺️ I agree I've been annoyed at people on this forum and then read something about there life story, and get ahah moments. It's easier when you understand what they have been though.

Also instead of hiding, pretend I'm like others, I'm much happier letting it all out there.

I've realized there is such little know about dyslexia, so I'm trying to educate a little to. There is so much knowledge about autism, ADHD, and down syndrome, so little about dyslexia.

I just want to scream when people say you read good you can't be. Then they spend time with me and there like OH , I get it!

That's why your flour container says Dread floor, instead of Bread flour , in permanent marker. 😂
(0)

Nacy,
Impressed with your open telling of your struggles! I think we often have no idea what others are going through.
(0)

Way: You're welcome.
(1)

Finally got internet back today! It went out last Friday after the storms, seems to have taken a cable off of our satellite. So we got a new satellite and all seems fine now, rural living! Tomorrow my 91 YO Aunt and 3 of my cousins are finally getting here to meet the new Grandson, they got rained out last Friday. DD and I can't wait to see them! My Aunt has declared herself the great grand Mimi, and we are thrilled! I can't believe he is 2 months old, I am totally smitten. I joked I was not retiring to babysit, then DD got pregnant,, and I am thrilled to pitch in . She only lives 3 miles from me so it's easy.
(4)

Hey Margaret, I can't learn if I'm not told , that somethings isn't right. it's all Good 😊
(0)

Anx, I'm very sorry if I made you feel bad, please don't take it that way. I think I'm OCD about linguistics (and people misrepresenting the Bible). Let's do a deal for mutual forgiveness. Yours, Margaret
(2)

Just to add, I'm sure you remember Tim Conway , from The carol Burnet Show. He was dyslexic, and was laughed at so much for doing silly things, he went into comedy.

Anyways that was my life!

A old GF a few years ago, was laughing with other GFs about how they use to try to teach me to dance. They where giggling about it. I said to them, sure , nice guys pick on the learning disabled and walked away. There jaws hit the floor.

I suspect I have dysgraphia too, which much about coordinations.
Will just say grace is not my middle name! 😂

I have no problem with people laughing with me, because heck yeah it can be funny, but I don't like people laughing at me.
(0)

I'm sorry Margaret, I'm dyslexic, part of why I'm on this forum, is for support, for tech education and for my own education on correcting myself. I welcome the corrections, because honestly, I had no clue.

I am intelligent I just see things different than others. It's a Nero divergent issue. I actually read very well, which is one of the reasons dyslexia never got caught in school. The other one was because my mom hid it and didn't want me " labeled" . (Nice! 😖) Just please be patient with me. This has actually helped me a lot.

I'm on dyslexia subreddit also. Now that I'm finally learning to help myself things are a bit easier.

Like at boccie, I asked them all if I could always be the red balls, always being red is helping me not mix up the game and get frustrated teammates.

I guess 60 isn't to old to finally admit I'm learning disabled, instead of hiding it and having such low self-esteem I can't do a forum

Anyways thanks, I honestly had no clue!
(2)

Anx, I don’t usually bother about spelling, but I keep getting a shock about ‘weather’ (it’s raining) and ‘whether’ (no it’s just mist).
(0)

2 3 4 5 6
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter